The National Institute for Learning Development, Discovery Program’s parent organization, is hosting its 36th annual winter conference at the Newport News Marriott at City Center in Newport News, Virginia. The conference will be held from February 27th through March 1st. Parents, educators, administrators, and school psychologists will gain new insights from the keynote speaker, Dr. Steven Feifer and other noted speakers. Dr. Feifer is an internationally renowed speaker and author in the field of learning disabilities, and has authored six books on learning and emotional disordes in children. He has 19 years experience as a school psychologist and in 2009 was awarded the National School Psychologist of the Year. Come and join us for workshops rich in content, many networking opportunities, and interactions with leading experts in the field of learning development. If you are interested in connecting research to education – this conference is for you. For conference and registration information please see www.nild.org.
- Summer Activities for Hampton Roads Preschoolers and Kindergarteners (5/17/2013) - Science continues to link early skill development in executive functioning and fine motor skills to later math and reading success. An Education Week online article from May 17, 2013 summarizes the University of Virginia’s research findings which indicate that executive function, fine-motor skills, and general knowledge in kindergarten are better predictors of 8th grade reading and math achievement read more[...]
- Why Is It Important That Hampton Roads Readers Don’t Skip A Night Of Reading? (4/22/2013) - Does your child read 20 minutes a day, 5 minutes a day or one minute a day? Do you know how many minutes that equates to in a school year? What kind of impact does reading just 20 minutes a day have on your child’s vocabulary and success in school? Click the link below to find out read more[...]
- Book Awards (3/20/2013) - Parents and Teachers – Are you looking for resources to find good reading selections for students? Here are some helpful websites to find reader’s choice awards and series books. Young Reader’s Choice Awards Newberry and Caldecott Award Winners Book Series
- Stress, School, and Students (2/6/2013) - Eric Jensen’s recent BrighterBrain®Bulletin shares research about impact of stress. Here are a few insights related to stress, school and students: Stress is good for you. Stress should go up and down and some stress every day is healthy; it builds resilience. What is evil for your body is DISTRESS, which is a chronic stress overload from continuous, over the read more[...]
- Information Follow-Up (1/16/2013) - Attention Parents of Portsmouth Christian Students A special thank you to the over 65 families who joined Discovery Program at the open house “Getting Smarter….The Brain’s Capacity For Change.” If you are interested in having your child participate in Rx for Discovery Reading, Rx for Discovery Math, or Feuerstein’s Instrumental Enrichment program please complete and submit read more[...]
- Parents of K-8th Graders at Portsmouth Christian School (1/7/2013) - Discovery Program invites you to an open house: “Getting Smarter….The Brain’s Capacity for Change” Are you interested in learning about programs that exercise the brain’s capacity? Do you want your child to further develop thinking, reasoning, remembering, and a love for learning? If you have a child who is struggling with school or a child read more[...]